- Keep a success journal for your personal successes and another for your career successes. Make 3 to 5
entries every day in each journal. Each success is a story.
Carry a small pocket recorder to jot story idea notes. Use the notes section on your smart phone.
- I keep a note pad in my exercise area and another on my night stand to jot fast notes. Trying to recall an idea hours later is seldom productive.
- Create a story file; you can make a file on your desktop or on paper. No need to write out the entire story, bullet points will be fine.
- Every story should have:
Cure – solution
Change – change in the behavior or attitude of a character
Carry Out Message
- Jot notes throughout your day of situations which make a point about helping someone or solving a problem. These stories will help you be ready during interviews, meeting prospective clients and in social interactions.
- Hints for advanced story telling:
Tell stories in dialog rather than monologue
Incorporate 5 senses
Make someone else the hero
Head, Heart, Humor and Helpful walk away message
Then, Now and How
- Stories help you connect with your audience, not just communicate. You only have to connect with your audience if you want them to remember you and remember what you said.